Thursday, August 10, 2006

"Who Wants to be a Superhero?" Episode 3- Reactions

You know what? I'm not even gonna try to write an introductory paragraph, because it's all spoilers. If you've seen the latest "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" episode, or you just don't care, read on.


Monkey Woman was by far the most interesting, and to me the most endearing, of this batch of contestants. She wanted this, and was dedicated to her character. She had a nice sparkly personality and incredible persistence.

I can't really argue with the elimination as such. She got caught in a lie, which she shouldn't have done, and it sucks that it came this early in the game. This perhaps is why I prefer scripted television- in a dramatic series, Monkey Woman would be given a nice redemptive arc and come back to prove her worth at the climax. But though reality shows are never fully "real", I doubt this bit was planned. She's charming enough that the producers could have found an excuse to keep her around, but they stuck to the rules. Fair enough.

And so, I have a suggestion. If this show is considered a ratings success, do a second series. And bring Monkey Woman back as part of the next round. She'll get a nice fresh start, her past all settled, and be able to stand or fall based completely on her performance in the challenges. Audiences will like it, and it's not unprecedented in the reality show field. It'll be fun.

With her and Ty'Veculus gone (the latter surprising me almost as much), the show seems less interesting, but the growing conflict between the contestants should sustain it for three more episodes. And Creature is starting to impress me- I thought she had a weak hook at first, but she's shown character.

Keep swingin', MW.

Actual content will return soon.

No comments: