Sunday, March 22, 2009

Short Film Report: Nemesis

Recently I received an e-mail from Stian Hafstad, an aspiring filmmaker who wanted to point me towards his student project, a sort of superhero comedy called “Nemesis”. It’s on Youtube, so I’ll be putting it up for you to look at as well. Below the cut, my thoughts.



As familiar as the subject matter is these days, “Nemesis” takes an interesting approach. The humor is straightforward and low-key, light enough not to undermine what story and characterization there is. The basic concept, of a hero and nemesis “battling” each other for the sole purpose of awakening whatever power lies within them, is fascinating, and though the film isn’t long enough to explore all the implications, it still feels like a complete story.

The acting is good throughout, and though I actually watched the low-quality version I still thought it came off as very polished and professional. (Apparently it’s been through a couple of drafts.) The cinematography is sharp and the music selections are well placed. I also have to give kudos to the translation done for the subtitles; I didn’t spot any grammatical errors or idiomatic issues.

There’s not much else I can say about the project, so if you haven’t given it a watch already I recommend you do so. A fun little movie that’s worth 10 minutes of your time.

No comments: